U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: spots and dots and other gum stuff

Re: spots and dots and other gum stuff

Probably this is John Cimon Warburg, who was English and father of the publisher Fredric John Warburg (Secker & Warburg). He suffered from asthma which stopped him from working and had the money to finance his photography.

Four pages of his pictures at http://216.47.168.150/results.asp?txtkeys1=John+Cimon+Warburg which are in the RPS collection. At least one - Peggy in the Garden - is widely available as a poster. The pictures, mainly autochromes, include a portrait of him reading a magazine taken by Helen Messenger Murdoch.

I rather like his Cow on Saltburn sands. Several on page 3 and 4 are labelled as gums, and some of those described just as photographs look as if they could be. Includes some very typical work of the period.

Regards

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk _________________________________________________________________
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
Judy,

Was this Warburg an Englishman? I saw a couple of his prints from about that period somewhere in Londan, possibly the Victoria and Albert.
Dunno.

But whence the term
"titration" --?  Is that theirs or yours?
Dunno either--I'm curious why you ask?
Chris