U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language

Re: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language



All of you are making a vein in the middle of my forehead pulse dangerously. Please just stop.

I would have been happier if someone had pluralized a noun with an "apostrophe letter s".

Peter M. Howey
Grant Writer
Saginaw Art Museum
1126 N. Michigan Avenue
Saginaw MI 48602
(989) 754-2491 x219


----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill William" <iodideshi@yahoo.co.jp>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language


Judy,

True, languages are in constant evolution, and "The Rules"
are often slow to keep up with the rest of us!

but are you sure that

"Me and my friend went to a workshop."

is right

and that

"...consider joining Dick and I in this exciting
workshop."

is wrong?

I seem to recall that the "rule" was that the first person
singular was "I" when it was the subject and "me" when it
was the object of the verb.

Could please confirm/clarify???

on or off,

Thanks!

Ray

----------------------------
--- Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:

>
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Ender100@aol.com wrote:
>
> . ....� I hope you will consider joining Dick and I
> in this exciting
> > workshop.
>
> Now Mark, I hope you will consider writing 100 times
> why "joining Dick and
> I" is an utterly vile and wretched solecism, one of
> the worst possible in
> the English language, as could cause fainting in the
> aisles at a copy
> editors' convention (although obviously it aspires
> to be correct).
>
> Now you may ask why I don't say this offlist.
>
> Because I don't wish to sound wretched myself, and
> the more it is said,
> the more the ear expects it. (In fact some friends
> of mine who,
> amazingly, are still friends, have to be corrected
> repeatedly.)
>
> But a hint: It's the compound that throws people
> off. Children are
> corrected when they say, "Me and my friend went to a
> workshop." Yet they
> wouldn't say "Me went to a workshop." And you
> wouldn't say "Join I in this
> exciting workshop." You'd say "Join me."
>
> I trust you will forgive me. I write for the common
> good as well as my
> own.
>
> J.


--------------------------------------
Start Yahoo! Auction now! Check out the cool campaign
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/auction/




-- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.15/580 - Release Date: 12/8/2006