From: Richard Sullivan [mailto:richsul@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 7:08 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language & Grammar Police

From a New Yawk Times Book Review 1984

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E1DC163BF934A15752C0A962948260

>>Finally, one tends to lick past the whimsical flavor of the examples to the marrow of their structure. ''Let's you and me get together and do away with some of the possibilities,'' she writes to illustrate a correct case of pronouns in apposition to another pronoun. How's that again: ''Let's you and me ''? Right: '' You and me are in apposition with 's , which equals us , the object of let. '' This makes perfect sense. Let you and me get together and do away with some of the possibilities.

But hold on! This means that one of the great writers of the 20th century committed a grammatical blunder in one of his most famous poems. ''Let us go then, you and I,'' reads the first line of T. S. Eliot's ''Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.'' ''When the evening is spread out against the sky/ Like a patient etherised upon a table.'' Oh, well, it just goes to show that all of us writers make our share of grammatical errors. Me and T. S. Eliot! T. S. Eliot and I. <<