U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Clearing dichromate sausage stained t-shirts

Clearing dichromate sausage stained t-shirts

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Clearing dichromate sausage stained t-shirts
  • From: "Arcus, Paul" <Paul.Arcus@dsto.defence.gov.au>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:45:01 +1030

Judy, was there ever a political t-shirt that asked: "Does your Senator
know what bichromate is?"
Or was it worded: "Does your Senator recommend eating bichromate
sausages?"

The point to be made (plagiarised from below) is:
"What signifies the learning of a man (or lady) who can name the
bichromate of potash in five or six different languages, if he (or she)
is ignorant of its nature and uses, in comparison with that of the man
(or lady) who can make and apply it to a number of useful purposes?"
{items in () added for PC}

The more time people spend arguing about bichromate the less time they
have to find out more about its use.
Perhaps people need reminding to use common sense (including adequate
precautions) even if they do not believe its toxicity.

This constant teeth gnashing about bichromate toxicity has been raging
since at least 1995 (to my knowledge).
I suppose a dentist would recommend more debate by counter-arguing that
teeth can be replaced but gums can't.
Tee Hee.

PAUL

(url at bottom for the internet enabled).

<<QUOTE>> Scientific American. / Volume 10, Issue 26. [Scientific
American. / Volume 10, Issue 26, Mar 10, 1855]
Ilichrommmate of PotashIgnorance of 8enators.

 On the 1st inst., during a discussion in the Senate of the United
States, Mr. Seward said that he had a letter from a manufacturer of the
bichromate of potash, stating that a change in the tariff would injure
him; Mr. Badger asked, what is the bichromate of potash? Mr. Seward gave
no answer, when Mr. Hunter said, I dont knowand the presumption is, that
Senators are ignorant.
It seems there was not a solitary Senator who could answer Mr. Badgers
question, not even the Senator from Maryland, in which State it is
extensively manufactured. It was proposed in the Bill under discussion,
to reduce the tariff on dye stuffs, consequently it included the
bichromate of potash, which is one of the most common and
extensively-used coloring minerals employed in dyeing. The bichromate of
potash is formed by the union of chromic acid and potash. Chromic acid
is an oxyd of the metal chromium, which is found in considerable
quantities combined with iron, in Maryland and Pennsylvania. It is
employed for coloring yellow, and orangeand catechu brownson cotton. It
is used for making black ink, by combining it with logwood. It is used
for coloring glass, and in the state of chromate lead, it is a beautiful
yellow pigment, extensively used in painting. Within the past few years
it has come into very extended use, as a mordant for coloring wool, and
has entirely superseded some of the old tedious processes. Every Senator
in the Senate is indebted to the bichromate of potash for the color of
his coat, and yet not one of them knew what it was. It is a positive
fact that very few of our public men can be called learned, if science
be taken as the standard of learning, and we do not know a better one.
What signifies the learning of a man
who can name the bichromate of potash in five or six different
languages, if he is ignorant of its nature and uses, in comparison with
that of the man who can make and apply it to a number of useful
purposes? It is greatly io be regretted that so few mechanics,
manufacturers, and agriculturists are elected Senators when so many
questions connected with their interests have to be legislated upon, by
men not qualified (by their want of information) to do so
intelligently.<<END QUOTE>>
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/ncps:@field(DOCID+@lit(ABF22
04-0010-28))::