U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Very inexpensive spiral compact fluorescent blacklights

Re: Very inexpensive spiral compact fluorescent blacklights

I'm in the process of building one using 6 BLB CFLs, for prints up to around 8x12" or so. I'll let you know how it goes.

Peter Mikalajunas wrote:
Has any one worked with CFL's for a uv light box?  Any recommendations regarding number of bulbs, spacing, etc?  I would be interested in setting them up for prints up to 16x20.

Thanks,

Pete

Murray Leshner <murrayatuptowngallery@yahoo.com> wrote:
Watch out for variation in output between lamps. You can tell whether you have magnetic vs. electronic ballasts by the weight difference.

Also note that at least for linear tube fluorescent lamps, 100 hours is considered the stabilization period during which changes in output and stability (barber-poling and racoon-tailing effects).

CF's have some significant differences in gas and current density compared to linear lamps, and usually run a little warmer due to the concentrated space. Keep that in mind in enclosed boxes.

104 F is a target temp for fluorescent lamps in luminaires. Output drops at significant temperature variations (you don't have alot of choice but know there are reasons for variation in output).

Peter Mikalajunas <tintype51@yahoo.com> wrote:
Jordan,

Glad you tested these out.  I have been thinking about trying them.  You can find them on web if you do a google search for "Globe 37610".  There is some one selling them on eBay, but at a very high premium.

Pete

Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I thought the list would be interested in hearing about a recent find I
made. At my local Canadian Tire I happened to chance upon spiral compact
fluorescent BLBs for C$6 each (about US$5). (Canadian Tire is a large
chain store, kind of like the US chain Ace Hardware.) The brand name of
these bulbs is Noma, and the bulbs are called "Ultra Mini Spiral Black
Light Bulb". They are rated at 13 W, and come in blister packs.

Noma is a manufacturer of cheap "specialty lighting" -- they're known
for porch and garden lights, etc. They used to advertise on TV here. I
don't remember seeing Noma products when I lived in the States, but I
didn't look for them.

I tested a bulb to make sure it was a "true" black-light, and it is. It
causes fluorescence in the usual materials (white clothes, paper with
OBAs in it, etc.) and exposes Van Dykes just as well as the much more
expensive Feit Electric 13W BLB I've been using so far (which I had to
order from the USA at great expense!) I'll be using six of the Noma
bulbs to build my UV light source.

For anyone who's contemplating building a UV light source, this is
something to keep an eye out for.

Cheers

Jordan