U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Colored Dags? / Hill

Re: Colored Dags? / Hill

Philip wrote:

> Hill was no "mystic"; nor was he killed by his exposure to Daguerreian
> chemistry.

Perhaps "mystic" isn't the right word, but he did propound theories
that incorporating the chemical essence (by way of extract) of his
natural subjects into his photographic chemistry somehow made the
photographs of those respective subjects better. However scientific he
may have been, he was clearly "out there" as well. I count this as
"mysticism," but it certainly doesn't bother me if others don't.

As far as thinking that exposure to dag chemistry would cure his
respiratory ills, and ultimately being killed by them, I wasn't there.
It has been quite widely reported. He did die at the age of 49, just 9
years after publication of the Treatise.

Best regards,

etienne