U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dark gums

Re: dark gums

Hi Ilana,

Ilana
Some time ago I remember someone (whose name I will remember after sending
this email I guess) making wonderful monochrome prints by mixing carbon
powder (with which black ink is made) with gum and working with it as gum
printers do. The carbon powder was/is available in shops which sell gear for
Chinese calligraphers. Lovely results. You can find some of his prints in
early editions of the late lamented Pinhole Journal. His name is Jeff
.....(well that's a start). Very simple and effective technique. He didnt
use it to make dark and moody images but I imagine that a little exposure
experimentation with nboth the neg and the print will get you there

all the best
CAtherine