U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dark gums

Re: dark gums

Ilana,

There is no problem getting dark tones with gum. Most printers use multiple
layers to build up pigment, but not all. Having just looked at gum prints by
the masters from the early 1900s it was clear that they were consistently
printing two layers (perhaps more). Often a gray layer with an exposure long
enough to print all the light tones followed by a black layer to complete
the dark tones (with a shorter exposure). Gum prints a short scale so you
want a fairly thin negative. The old advice is that you should be able to
read through the negative. Try printing on the front of Fabriano Artistico
without size. It is the easiest way to start. If you want to try for more
texture in the print (like a charcoal drawing) use the back side of the same
paper. If you want a smoother gradation of tone you will need to size the
paper. Remember to shrink the paper in a water soak for 20 minutes or so and
hang to dry before printing or your layers will not align since the paper
will have shrunk after the first layer development.

Jack