U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Cyanotype paper

Re: Cyanotype paper

Hi Anne,

I'm experimenting with Masa Japanese drawing paper right now (2 prints so far - I'm printing with PDN digital negatives). This paper is cheap (see Jerry's Artarama), very thin (dries in a super-fast manner) - but robust (if you're not going to print huge), and works well with classic cyanotype formula (with good dmax I should add - I use 2A:1B, A being 20%, B being 8%). Besides, the texture is very interesting (front side fibrous back side smooth as vellum / haven't tried the back side yet but I have the impression that it will work nicely too).

Of course, Bergger COT320 is the best paper for many iron-based processes - that would be my first choice but it's quite expensive in the States.

Hope this helps,
Loris.

Quoting Anne van Leeuwen & Peter Hoffman <anne_peter@earthlink.net>:

I'll be teaching a cyanotype workshop this summer in Michigan.  In the
past I've supplied paper that I've made but that's a lot of work!  So,
does anyone have suggestions of a good paper for a class that would
hold up to washing, nto much sizing, if any?  A good study versatile,
not expensive paper.  Perhaps a paper on a roll.

BTW, I moved to this area from the Nashville area this past April.
Sorry I'll miss Sam Wang's show at Belmont.  But it's good to see that
area become more aware of alt photo.  I used to take my work to
Chromatics for slides and the help there would be excited by the
process.  It's new to most folks there.  I'm sure that will be a very
good show.  That's become a great area.

Thanks for the help with paper sources!  Anne van Leeuwen