U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Question about Masa paper

Re: Question about Masa paper

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Question about Masa paper
  • From: Bruce Campbell <brucerccampbell@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 06:18:16 -0800 (PST)

To those interested in Masa paper

Dolphin Papers in Indianapolis also carries the Masa paper.  Look under their Japanese paper list.  Their web site is http://homepage.mac.com/dolphinpapers/catalog2004.htm
Paper prices are a little higher than D.S. prices.

Bruce

Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com> wrote:
Thanks, Loris... so it looks like what I've got is the same thing
you've got, and also the same as what's currently available as "Masa"
from the Daniel Smith catalog, since it's the identical
description. I'm surprised the description doesn't include the
twosidedness of it.

I've printed gum on both sides; the nappy side doesn't work very
well because it speckles and would require additional size to print
without speckling. It is also difficult to coat smoothly, as the
emulsion catches in the nap and wants to stay where it was put
initially rather than brushing out smooth. The smooth side coats
beautifully and prints quite well, but it's very slow. Both sides
are slow, but I assumed the nappy side was slow because it soaks up a
lot more emulsion so the coating is thicker, but even the smooth
side, which uses much less emulsion, is slow, at least 4x the
exposure required for my usual Arches paper. Also, since the paper
is thin, it tends to dry crinkled, and would probably need to be
flattened in a press. It's kind of like printing gum on typing
paper; you can do it, but why would you. Two reasons why you might:
it dries quick as a wink, and the smooth side is very smooth and
coats nicely. It's hard to find a really smooth surface that's also
easy to coat.

These are just quick-and-dirty test prints and not calibrated for
the best exposure, but they do show the relative printing qualities
of the two sides of the paper.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Masa.html

An even thinner Japanese paper with amazing wet strength is silk
tissue, also available from the Daniel Smith catalog.
Katharine

You don't say which