U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Question about Masa paper

Re: Question about Masa paper

Katharine,

Thanks for trying out the masa paper. I think it was my inquiry that may
have started you on looking at it for gum. But I wonder if this paper being
made from sulphite stock is like the paper I was asking about that was used
by Kuhn in the early 1900s. Did Japanese papers exist at that time that were
made of sulphite or is this an example of a more western paper being made to
resemble traditional paper, and if so how close is it. Kuhn printed on a
paper that was a light brown color with small flecks of darker brown veg.
matter. I thought I had samples of Japanese papers here to look at to try to
identify it, but they have not surfaced. My memory is that the paper he used
was smooth on both sides and was a paper I had been told before was from a
plant that supplied both the fiber and the transparent size that so firmly
glued together the sheet.

Jack