From: Mark Booth
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 6:23 PM
Subject: Source for Uranium Nitrate

I am seeking a good source for purchasing Uranium Nitrate for creating a Uranium toner solution.  So far I have had trouble finding a source.  PF doesn't carry this item and I would suspect that hazardous considerations may be a factor or scarcity.

Specific Application:  Perhaps there is an alternative toner with similar effects (realizing that considerable differences exist with formulas and applications).  My initial use would be with silver-gelatin and then moving to eventual non-silver application.  It is said by Robert Schramm, in his excellent but short article regarding Uranium Toning  www.unblinkingeye.com  to produce red-brown tones on silver prints and blue, green and red tones on platinum prints.   If one reads the article, figure #1 image presents a similar effect that I would like to replicate, as much as possible, girl aside!  I would be inclined to use Bergger VC NB paper or Silver Supreme paper for a given motive that I have photographed.  Then figure #2 toning would be of future interest in other applications.  (effects are considerably different on platinum vs. silver as can be seen)

Anyone's recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated to this (less experienced) practitioner.  I imagine that Tim Rudman's book, The Photographer's Toning Book, would be a good source to review as well!

Thanks in advance,
Mark Booth