U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | cerulean, uranium nitrate, amidol

cerulean, uranium nitrate, amidol

My experience with cerulean blue for gum was that it had so little covering power it was more trouble than it was worth... But then, as I recall, some colors labeled cerulean are, like, thalo & white. Maybe labelled "cerulean tint." And sometimes it does tell that on the label & sometimes it don't. But then that was so long ago, maybe they've found a new cerulean mine since then.

I'd made that toner with uranium nitrate, but the color didn't seem to me to be worth the trouble -- no better for instance or not as reliable as one made with (oh lord, 20 years ago... can I remember the chemical???) probably nickle nitrate & dimethyoglyoxime. I'd also read that the uranium color is not stable... what does Bob say? I got mine, BTW from chemical co... I checked the label, now encrusted with whatever (probably nuclear reactorite) and it says Fluka ...., thru chem dept at school. But at $25 for 10 grams (and that was 20 years ago) once I'd actually done it, it somehow seemed less essential.

As for amidol.... my recollection is it doesn't keep well... Mine turned black in the jar. But in such a large amount it probably keeps better, and you never know when someone will find a marvelous gum emulsion that needs amidol... There's also Seigel's law: the moment you throw something out or get rid of it, you need it desperately.

J.