U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Source for Uranium Nitrate

RE: Source for Uranium Nitrate

Dick,

I am realy surprised by your reply...I will not..oude koeien uit de
sloot halen....(dutch verb)..but:

I do think that the stuff should NOT be treated lightly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranyl_nitrate

Health and environmental issues

Uranyl nitrate is an oxidizing and highly toxic compound and should not
be ingested; it causes severe renal insufficiency and acute tubular
necrosis and is a lymphocyte mitogen. Target organs include the kidneys,
liver, lungs and brain. It also represents a severe fire and explosion
risk when heated or subjected to shock in contact with oxidizable
substances.

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/UR/uranium_nitrate.html

Toxicology

      Toxic by inhalation or ingestion. Should be treated as a potential
carcinogen. May cause mutagenic or teratogenic effects. Danger of
cumulative
effects. Caustic, corrosive.

Yyes, yes, ofcourse Mark will not eat it, but nevertheless...

Best,

Cor

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=00043XC
> You can see they discontinued it as well.
>
> I think it is all a big bunch of hooey. It is in fact slightly
> radioactive but only slightly. All the good bomb making stuff has
> already been taken out, and that makes logical sense. I have my own
> special horde of it, about 300 gms left that we can't sell, and I once
> showed the bottle  to some students visiting and their professor
freaked
> and virtually ran out of the room. Like most airport security, it's
all
> show.
>
> --Dick Sullivan
>

> Mark Booth wrote:
> > I am seeking a good source for purchasing Uranium Nitrate for
creating
> > a Uranium toner solution.  So far I have had trouble finding a
> > source.  PF doesn't carry this item and I would suspect that
hazardous
> > considerations may be a factor or scarcity.
> >
> > Specific Application:  Perhaps there is an alternative toner with
> > similar effects (realizing that considerable differences exist with
> > formulas and applications).  My initial use would be with
> > silver-gelatin and then moving to eventual non-silver application.
It
> > is said by Robert Schramm, in his excellent but short article
> > regarding Uranium Toning  www.unblinkingeye.com
> > <http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Uranium/uranium.html>  to produce
> > red-brown tones on silver prints and blue, green and red tones on
> > platinum prints.   If one reads the article, figure #1 image
presents
> > a similar effect that I would like to replicate, as much as
possible,
> > /girl aside!/  I would be inclined to use Bergger VC NB paper or
> > Silver Supreme paper for a given motive that I have photographed.
> > Then figure #2 toning would be of future interest in other
> > applications.  (effects are considerably different on platinum vs.
> > silver as can be seen)
> >
> > Anyone's recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
> > to this (less experienced) practitioner.  I imagine that Tim
Rudman's