U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: "Tricolor gum printers" deconstructed

RE: "Tricolor gum printers" deconstructed

Sandy,

I did not intend to imply that was in any way dishonest or ignoble to use
cyanotype in a gum print, although I suppose I DID say that I "felt" is was
cheating.   Look, anybody wanting superlative results in a finished work
would be silly not to investigate the use of cyanotype.  But I'm not totally
sure I am comfortable calling it a tri-color gum for whatever reasons.
Although I have great respect for this list and contributors such as
yourself and Chris and Sam, I'm not totally comfortable that the art market
has ceded us with the right to define what is and what is not a gum print.
I'm thinking particularly about two conversations I had with a couple of
gallery owners (more lectures, really, on the "honesty of representation")
when I showed them my gums that incorporated kallitype and/or vandyke. (I
wish I had the E.J. Wall defense at the time).

Anyway, I'm thinking now about "how much gum" does a gummist need for a gum
print to be called gum (here would be a good place to insert a line about
woodchucks chucking wood, if they could...)

So let's say I lay down a red layer using a Uranium process, coat over that
with cyanotype, and then finish it off with a anthoype using
daisy-petal-yellow.  If I coat a clear coat of gum over that, do I still
have a "tri-color gum"?

Keith