U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: the look of tricolor vs CMYK

Re: the look of tricolor vs CMYK

Katherine Thayer writes:
<<< With a tricolor,
the blacks have undertones of color and life, and with CMYK, the
blacks are just sort of flat and dead.  It's a subjective thing;
maybe not everyone could see the difference.  But to me it makes the
two kinds of print easy to distinguish.  Understand, I'm not ranking
them; I'm just saying they're different.  I can imagine places where
that dead black would be exactly the look you might want. >>>

I've sat on this for a day now without commenting because I wanted
to let my astonishment settle down.  I have to say now though, that
when I read the above, my jaw dropped at the insulting and condescending
tone of it.  To say you're not ranking them, and then go on to use phrases
like "flat and dead", and "dead black"... puleeeeze.  ( talk about
transparent...)

susan