U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum curve testing

Re: gum curve testing

Hi Laura,

Remember, a curve you apply in the digital neg process isn't intended to
make your image look "better" on screen. It's designed to prepare your
negative with the proper contrast for the printing process of your
choice. In fact, by definition the curve will make your image look "bad"
since you're starting with a perfect image on screen before you warp it
with a digital neg curve.

Now about your "no difference between 90% and 100%" issue. That is
indeed a curve issue. Assuming you have a D-max at 100% (and as you
imply that D-max would also be holding in 95% and 90%), you need to
RAISE those 90 and 95 points on the curve. That should give you
separation in those tones. It is important that you are exposing long
enough to get a good maximum black (D-Max) in the 100% (clear film)
tone. Usually you have to nudge other adjacent curve points to spread
the changes gently over the curve. Curves can be strong but you want to
avoid dog legs or plateaus in your curve shape. Make sense?

Nice set of tests. If you're this careful and methodical, you're going
to have good control in no time. Keep us posted on your progress. I've
never done gum so I'm not qualified to make specific suggestions but
you've got lots of expertise on this list for that!

Best,

Dan

--
www.DanBurkholder.com