U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: the look of tricolor vs CMYK

RE: the look of tricolor vs CMYK

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: the look of tricolor vs CMYK
  • From: Keith Gerling <Keith@GumPhoto.com>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:10:44 -0600

Hi Michael,

Bent, huh?  Cool.  Of course, I don't use all of those techniques on every work.  Regarding that calculations step: All I've done is perform the very same channel-tweaking that any Photoshopper might employ, but rather than "assemble" the picture with layers in Photoshop, I've made "hard-copy" layers in the form of negatives and assemble the layers on the final gum print.  The one I mentioned, I blended 80% of the inverse of the Magenta with soft light into the Blue channel of a copy of the original image.  Now, if you take the result and create a new layer, fill it with black and blend it on top of the original with soft light you'll have something similar to the gum print.  But doing it "outside" of Photoshop allows for more control.  Most of these things are done on whim and aren't all planned out.

The turquoise selection technique was used recently for a picture of a dancer.  Her costume had a very distinctive color that I was afraid would not combine perfectly using tri-color RGB separations.  I prepared a spot channel mask that I prepared by selecting the color range and used that negative to hammer home that distinctive turquoise. Of course, if one really wanted the results to be Perfect, one would subtract the colors out of the original RGB negatives.  But this is gum, so why worry?

Hope this makes sense.

Keith