U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum curve testing

Re: gum curve testing

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: gum curve testing
  • From: Camden Hardy <camden@hardyphotography.net>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:43:20 -0700 (MST)

Laura,

Curves can be intimidating at first, especially if you've never really
used them before jumping into digital negatives.  Curves in general are
simply an advanced form of contrast control, where you can change the
values of a given tonal range (i.e. lighten up the shadows, while leaving
the highlights as they are).

The important thing to keep in mind, as Dan mentioned, is that when
applying a curve to a digital negative, you're simply matching the tones
you're getting on screen with what the process is capable of printing.
It's a means of standardizing a printing process.  So, to answer one of
your questions, the curve creation process is for a given process, not for
each image you print.  Once you nail down your curve for lamp black gum,
you shouldn't have to worry about making a new one until you change a
variable in your workflow (exposure time, paper, etc.).

It's interesting that Dan's platinum curve gave you the best results for
gum.  The tricky thing about curving digital negatives, which I believe is
evident in your test prints, is that there are so many variables in alt
process printing that when you use someone else's curve (unless you work
under exactly the same conditions) it most likely won't give you an
accurate "translation" from the computer screen to the print, although
they can be close.  If you're looking for a perfectly accurate curve, your
best bet is to create your own using one (or any combination) of the many
digital negative systems out there, or simply by "guess and check".

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net