U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: First try gravure

RE: First try gravure

Susan,

You might consider trouble-shooting a few variables before you give up on
the cheapy transparency material:

1. Not all transparencies are meant to go in an ink jet printer. So make
sure you buy the cheapy inkjet printer transparencies designed for ink jet
printers AND specifically for your brand printer. Some are designed for
overhead projector only and some for laser printers.

2. There is a right and wrong side to print on. The rough side is the side
that accepts ink. If you make the common mistake to print on the glossy side
you will get goo.

3. Depending on your print options, you may have an print option for
transparencies. Perhaps you are using this setting. If you don't have a
transparency setting, experiment with the glossy or matte surface photo
paper settings until you find the best one for your material.

4. Inks can be a variable. Which black ink are you using in your printer?

I'm not really trying to discourage you from OHP, I use it frequently. Just
like a less expensive option for experimentation, learning and printing.
Personally, I've sees some really good prints made from Office Depot
transparencies printed on a $28.00 ink jet printer--it does work.

My apologies in advance if you already know all the points above and are
saying "dah, Mark" :-)

PS The sun remains a good source of UV light if the NuArc won't work :-)

Mark