U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Wrinkled Prints

Re: Wrinkled Prints

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Wrinkled Prints
  • From: Bill William <iodideshi@yahoo.co.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 02:53:39 +0900 (JST)

Rita,

What is a pellon?

Do you have a picture of your problem you could send me?
(directly, perhaps, if the list still has a no attachment
policy)

Your description seems odd... Are you seeing wavy
undulations or actual folds? I cant see how you would be
getting folds unless you are squish-squashing your paper
somewhere in the drying process.

What does a sheet of your paper look like when processed
and dried without emulsion?

If plain paper dries unacceptably too, then that is where
you should be looking...

Generally, however, very thin papers are dried to
compleation on a flat surface such as wood, glass or
metal.

Ray

--- Ritab19106@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am applying silver emulsion (liquid light) to
> Japanese paper.  I  have
> posted in the past about myriad problems and have
> appreciated all the  helpful
> suggestions.
>
> My latest problem is that the prints dry (after
> typical darkroom  processing)
> with many wrinkles.  A few wrinkles are lovely, and
> contribute  to the three
> dimensional look I am seeking, but when the piece of
> (otherwise  beautiul)
> paper is completely crinkled, it is both
> unattractive and makes the  image hard
> to read.
>
> I have had this problem much more frequently lately,
> so I'm guessing it is
> related to the increased forced hot air heating (and
> low humidity) now that
> we're having a deep freeze on the East Coast.
>
> Here's what I've tried so far:  after squeegee-ing
> the prints, I lay  them on
> screens and surround the edges with little stones to
> keep the whole  print
> from curling up.  After they dry a little bit, I put
>  pellon  around the prints,
> and then weight them down with a few books.  They
> never  completely dry in
> the pellon, but when they are only a little damp, I
> move them  to blotters for
> the final drying.  The result is better than if I
> left the  prints on the
> screens for the entire time, but still pretty lousy.
>
> I do have a dry mount press, but I'm guessing the
> heat would destroy the
> emulsion, and when I use the press cold, all it does
> is flatten the creases, not
> restore the paper to a smoother state.
>
> I do have a humidifier that operates with my home
> heating system, though  I'm
> not sure it generates much moisture.  Would a free
> standing humidifier  in
> the darkroom be a good idea?
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice.
>
> Rita B

Start Yahoo! Auction now! Check out the cool campaign
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/auction/