U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they do.

Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they do.

Oh Bob, as usual, thou art sweet and true and honest
Jack

On February2007, at 8:03 PM, Robert W. Schramm wrote:

Just wanted to add my two cents. Have been doing the computer thing since 1966 when all we had were mainframes, Fortran and Cobal. The first PCs out that you could do anything with were
Apples. Remember that Apple invented the mouse, the floppy disc and the windows system (first introduced by the Macintosh) all of which were stolen by IBM.

Having said all that I must confess that I own both a Mac and a PC desktop and a Mac and PC lap top which I share with my wife. The desktop computers have large hard drives extra RAM both internal
and external drives and external hard drives. Photoshop is installed on all these computers as are various word processing programs.

I mostly do digital imaging and word processing. My wife (the research librarian) spends a lot of time
on the web locating information of all kinds.

Now the opinions:

Without a shadow of a doubt, when it comes to digital imaging, the Mac is far superior to any PC.
It is easier to use, more user friendly, faster and, because of its unix-based operating system, does not crash. If you doubt this I would suggest you try doing some photo shopping on a PC and then do the same on a Mac. Once a week I work at my old school where they have given me an IBM PC (fairly new) to use. I frequently must run Photoshop on this machine. When I do I have to wrap
duct tape around my head to keep it from exploding while I wait for this machine to do something
in minutes that my Mac will do in milliseconds. Simple things such as transferring files to a CD is so
much more difficult and time consuming than doing the same thing on a Mac.

On the other hand, when it comes to word processing, I prefer a PC. Its really hard to beat
Microsoft Word for ease of use. Apple doesn't have anything to match it. Apple works is OK but
not as easy to use IMHO.

In summary, Macintosh seems to be the industry standard when it comes to working with images.
PCs seem to dominate when it comes to text. When writing my pictorial histories I have sent my publisher the text and captions as Word files produced on a PC and the photos as Tiff files-Mac order produced on a Mac.

My son, the computer engineer, does not dislike PCs although he thinks that Macs are better. He has a cute little saying, " Use the best!. Linex for writing code, Macintosh for imaging and
PCs for playing solitaire." ;-)

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

http://www.SchrammStudio.com