U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they don't, or not for long

Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they don't, or not for long

I don't know, Judy. I've been using OSX for 5 or 6 years on laptops (Powerbook G4 now), with Classic, and I've never had any real problems switching back and forth. In fact, all my graphics programs are still the OS9 versions (this is a bit embarrassing, but 9/11 killed my business, I ran out of upgrade money). For word processing, I think that Word started life as an abomination and got worse, so I used WriteNow as long as possible, then switched wp stuff to Framemaker (which is lovely), now use Mariner for day to day stuff and save files as text and/or pdf whenever I have to go external. Also, no problems on hooking up external devices, they all work; although most of the older stuff like scanners and high level inkjets live on an OS9 9600, with no problems.

I've programmed/used all sorts of computers over the last 37 years, from 360 mainframes to iPods, including Windows (although, it takes courage to go outside our NT network and even contemplate 95, XP, etc.). I still use Macs for all user level activity, that is, everything except programming; although with the programming business still dead, user level stuff is all I do now.

Pam