U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Arches Aquarelle and Gum

Re: Arches Aquarelle and Gum

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Michael Koch-Schulte wrote:

Anyone offer opinions on using Arches Aquarelle with gum. I'm giving some a
good hot soak right now and it looks like it "mottles" (sizing?) in the 140F
temperature water. Is this bad? I'm just out of Rives right now. I haven't
see much mention of this paper in the archives in the context of gum. Thx.

Michael,

I hesitate to say this because it's many years since I've used that paper, and they seem to change every few years (they keep the name & change the paper). I found that in its "natural" state it was probably the WORST paper for gum I'd ever used, including typing paper, in that it stained VERY badly, BUT -- with a good coat of added gelatin size, hardened, it was quite fine.

As for mottling -- I've found that, for whatever reasons, certain papers will mottle during the sizing process, but once they're sized and hardened the mottling disappears.

Judy