U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate images up on my website

Re: solarplate images up on my website

Jon,

Is this a manifistation of Newton Rings?

In a message dated 2/20/07 12:25:28 AM, jon@terabear.com writes:

Measles...good analogy.

Notice the difference though.  Chris' measles are dark in the light
areas, while Susan's are white in the dark areas.

Chris:  http://czaphotography.com/img/learning/solarplate/Guncompare.jpg
Susan:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_K_E_8kwTNvw/RdqEKwry8dI/AAAAAAAAAA4/trtOOQWlZ3g/s1600-h/radish01.jpg

My .02 cents/sense is the causes are related, but are manifested for
different reasons.  I've suffered through both of them.  Both have to do
with uneven contact during exposure, as you may have guessed.

Susan, however, unlike Chris, is using a vacuum frame.  Contact should
be flawless, right?  Wrong.  Why, has to do with the "tackiness" between
OHP and the KM73 plate which was documented in my procedure.  Took me
about a year to figure this problem out, but my excuse is I had to go
between Boulder and Denver once a week to actually print the tests, like
Chris.  But, I'm not as bright as her either.

Susan:  If you want to test this, take a virgin KM73 plate with the
mylar removed, and a virgin piece of OHP (without an image printed on
it), sandwich them under the vacuum frame and hit the switch on the
vacuum.   I'll bet you see a similar, but subtle pattern of patches
manifesting like leprosy within the first minute of drawdown.  The
aquatint screen, unlike your image transparency, is made of real film
and doesn't have this issue, but the OHP is tackier against the KM73
plate and this is the problem.  The remedy for me has been baby powder,
very lightly dusted over plate with a hake brush (Jan gave me the idea
several years ago).  If you were using baby powder, the other key is to
not let the image exposure draw down too exceedingly long.  I basically
wait until the Krene goes flat against the bed, then hit the exposure
switch with no extra drawdown time beyond that.  Since the screen
exposure is not the issue, you can draw down on it as long as you want.
I do things in this order:

Remove mylar
Expose Screen to plate
Dust plate with baby powder
Expose Image to plate (minimal drawdown time)
Washout normally

Hope that helps.

I've got some other things I'm testing out to help with the OHP issue
with the KM73 plates and will report back if I come up with anything
better than the above.

Best wishes,
Jon

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com