U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Air Bubbles-Solutions

Air Bubbles-Solutions

In appreciation of all the advice I received about pesky air bubbles in the liquid silver emulsion process, I wanted to report back on my experiences.  I tried everything that was suggested, but most of the remedies left stains or created other obstacles to getting a smooth coating on the Japanese paper I have been using.  My bubbles must be especially intractable because attacking them with a brush, or a glass rod coated with emulsion, only served to move them from place to place.  The one thing that worked reasonably well was Everclear (thanks Chris), but only if I touched an eyedropper to the vodka, and then touched that dropper to the emulsion (literally a "touch", and not a squeezed drop).

Of course, once I solved that problem, another one surfaced.  (This process has got to be one of the most mysterious and fraught with difficulties.)  Although I don't vary my working process, I sometimes have sessions where the backs of my paper (Gampi) are full of stains that look almost like a fungus;  they show through to the printed side (in a way that almost looks to be eroding the emulsion), making the print look like it has...um...the measles (brown spots instead of red, though).  I would suspect that  these measles were a virus contaminating the list, but I had them before they surfaced recently in connection with solarplate images.

Any insights?

Rita

Check out free AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and much more.