U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Digital Negatives and new Epson printers

Re: Digital Negatives and new Epson printers

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Digital Negatives and new Epson printers
  • From: Jeremy Moore <jeremydmoore@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:28:54 -0600

Bruce, what is wrong with your 2200?

-Jeremy-

On 2/21/07, Bruce Campbell <brucerccampbell@sbcglobal.net > wrote:
Mark

Thanks for the detailed feedback regarding pizza wheels and the Epson 3800 printer.  I looked at several printers today since my 2200 may be toast.  It looks like both the Epson 1800 and the 2400 have pizza wheels.  The 2200 had small hard rollers.  Although I have not seen one, it sounds like the Epson 3800 also has pizza wheels. Right?

Here is a message shown below that I saw on another web site regarding the Epson 3800 and pizza wheel marks.  I don't know if it works- since I don't own the Epson 3800 I cant experiment but you and others that have the Epson 3800 may want to try it out to see if it works.

By the way, sorry to hear about the pepper like tone on your digital negatives.  Is it appearing on Pictorico or Ultra Fine or both substrates?

Bruce

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.colourprofiles.com

--

High Paul,

 Under Printer settings, go to Custom on the main page, then hit the Advanced Tab. In the lower left corner is a tab saying Paper Config, in the very bottome window is listed Eject Roller Type, select Eject Roller type as None.
David

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bruce,

I haven't messed with anything re pizza wheels because it hasn't reared it's ugly head yet... here is something I found on google:

"
For anyone interested, I've solved the pizza wheel marks on Hahnemule Fine Art Pearl (0.4mm thick) on my 3800 printer. No marks on the thinner Ilford Smooth Pearl. The marks were very evident using the rear feeder. Trying custom sttings for the paper did not help (adjusting platen gap etc....) And the worse part, was tech support (Epson) told me this is a known problem, unsolvable... they told me to quit using Hahnemuhle, and start using Epson Paper!!!!!
I tried (at the advise of one of Pictureline's employees) using the Front loader. It worked flawlessly. I had not tried that before, because my Epson 2400 would "overspray" anything printed from the front loading slot.
So..... if you have trouble with thick paper printing with the Epson 3800, try the front slot.... and I sure hope it helps you like it did me.
Apparently this is not a problem for all 3800's, but it sure was with mine. After doing a google search for "Pizza Wheel marks" I found many many folks have this problem with different printers. One company even markets plastic wedges, to put under the wheels. They are used to push out the paper. They are necessary if you print more than one sheet at a time, or print borderless. Neither applied to me.... and I was considering that option. Fortunately, it didn't go that far.
Carolyn
"

I am tryiing to get caught up enough to test the printer, however Sandy King has noticed (and so have I) that though the printer makes negatives that look VERY smooth, for some reason they print with tiny pepper-like tone...which is not smooth... unlike the R2400 which prints pt/pd tone very smoothly...so , I am going to have to try to figure this issue out!

Mark