From: Loris Medici [mailto:mail@loris.medici.name]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:40 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: solarplate images up on my website

Dear Susan and Christina (and all),

Why can't you make your own 1800 dpi 80% stochastic screen file
yourself in Photoshop (*1), save it in .eps format and give it to a
printshop running an imagesetter (whether they have the special software
or not) to print it directly (without applying rasterization in their
RIP)?

Steps for (*1):
1. Create an empty image (Mode: grayscale, resolution = 225 dpi, size =
according to your need)
2. Fill it with the appropiate gray tone (20% Luminosity)
3. Change the mode to bitmap (Output: 1800dpi, Method: Diffusion Dither)
4. Save it to an .eps file (they should open it at 1800dpi, size exactly
the same is in step 1)

See:
http://www.loris.medici.name/susanv_1800dpi_screen.jpg
Don't you think that the generated pattern looks like original aquatint
pattern? This is a 8x10" file that I processed as listed above (original
pixel dimensions: 1800x2250, bitmap pixel dimensions: 14400x18000). Left
side the original tone, right side the stochastic pattern at 100%
magnification. When you scale the file on the right to "print size", the
tone is identical to the left side...

If that works somehow, you won't have to be extra careful - to not
damage the screen - when printing; you're going to have your file
printed again if your aquating screen gets damaged (somehow).

What do you think? Am I talking nonsense - or do you think this is worth
to try? (I can send you a sample negative if you like - here in
Istanbul, imagesetter printing fees are very very low...)