U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate images up on my website

Re: solarplate images up on my website

Thanks Loris,

Sounds like this should work, but I don't know the details involved with how an imagesetter works.  Maybe someone else could comment.  I know they DO have expensive software to precisely generate screens...so there must be a reason.

One time I tried printing out screens myself on Pictorico.  Comparing them to imagesetter output showed they are worlds apart.  Under a lupe, the inkjet output dots were much bleedier, fuzzy and imprecise.  Imagesetter output was crystalline.  Maybe inkjet technology will improve to this level someday, but it ain't there yet.  We still need some way to get good film output once all the imagesetters die off.

Keep in mind when talking with Copygraphics, there were two different methods Peter Ellzy used to create my 1800 dpi screens two years ago.  One used a software called "Ice Fields" - some proprietary software that created a stochastic image from a normal one.  I didn't like the results using that one as much as the one using the 'normal' approach -- whatever that may have been -- maybe Photoshop, but I don't believe it was.  I spoke with Duane, the owner of Copygraphics yesterday and made him aware people are interested in the 1800 dpi screen I use and that, among the files in my folder on their computers from several years ago, the one NOT made using Ice Fields was the one I personally preferred and was recommending to people.  He seemed to understand my concerns and said he'd dig more into my old data and verify what was going on.  I'm hoping they find my old files and that they are able to output them without the striation problems reported earlier.

Keep in mind, some people have reported that 1200 dpi stochastic works fine for them and I guess that level of output is problem-free at Copygraphics...

Jon

Loris Medici wrote:
Dear Susan and Christina (and all),

Why can't you make your own 1800 dpi 80% stochastic screen file
yourself in Photoshop (*1), save it in .eps format and give it to a
printshop running an imagesetter (whether they have the special software
or not) to print it directly (without applying rasterization in their
RIP)?

Steps for (*1):
1. Create an empty image (Mode: grayscale, resolution = 225 dpi, size =
according to your need)
2. Fill it with the appropiate gray tone (20% Luminosity)
3. Change the mode to bitmap (Output: 1800dpi, Method: Diffusion Dither)
4. Save it to an .eps file (they should open it at 1800dpi, size exactly
the same is in step 1)

See:
http://www.loris.medici.name/susanv_1800dpi_screen.jpg
Don't you think that the generated pattern looks like original aquatint
pattern? This is a 8x10" file that I processed as listed above (original
pixel dimensions: 1800x2250, bitmap pixel dimensions: 14400x18000). Left
side the original tone, right side the stochastic pattern at 100%
magnification. When you scale the file on the right to "print size", the
tone is identical to the left side...

If that works somehow, you won't have to be extra careful - to not
damage the screen - when printing; you're going to have your file
printed again if your aquating screen gets damaged (somehow).

What do you think? Am I talking nonsense - or do you think this is worth
to try? (I can send you a sample negative if you like - here in
Istanbul, imagesetter printing fees are very very low...)