will go back to that and do some studying... two steps forward, one
step back :o)

Susan

gravure blog at www.susanvossgravures.blogspot.com
website www.dalyvoss.com

On 2/25/07, Jon Lybrook <jon@terabear.com> wrote:
 Hi Susan,

 I know what you mean.  We all just want it to work, unless you've got
exactly the same hardware as I do and are creating and processing plates in
exactly the same manner, using my curve without any adjusting of your own
will almost certainly not be as good.  Consider any curve supplied to you
from someone else a starting point - you'll need to learn to tweak it to get
the results you want, I'm afraid.  I think I mentioned before, I wouldn't
use the curve posted on my website when using a coarser scree or plates
other than the KM73.  This is because the curve was designed specifically
with a KM73 plate and finer stochastic screen in mind.  There are other
variables that require you to tweak the curve:  Your inkjet printer may
output transparencies with more or less density than mine as well -- you'll
want to adjust your curve or exposure times as a result of your testing.

 A curve compensates for the fact that we're transferring an image from one
medium to another.  Images generally gain contrast, as they "lose data" --
Much like when you copy 3rd and 4th generations of audio tapes ... the
fidelity of copies of copies start to become less defined.  Compensation
curves adjust for a known and expected loss in certain areas of density.
When I said 100% maps to 82%, I mean the 100% blacks are adjusted to
actually be 82% when output on the inkjet printer.  That's what Chris meant
by Input 100/Output 80 as well.  We do this because if we didn't, all the
shadows from 100-82% black would all look the same -- we wouldn't have as
much shadow detail.  How do we know?  Because we've done tests and tweaked
our process, exposure times, and curve with each successive test (though
usually one thing at a time is best of course :-)).  Curves are one of the
best control tools we've got to make images look like we think they should
when using digital images for alt processes.

 Dan Burkholder has an excellent "Tiny Tutorial" on creating curves, why and
how to do it here:

http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/right_frame_pages/turtorial-right-frame.html#

 Click on Adjusting Digital Negative Curves.

 Dan makes it more fun than it would be otherwise.  His book is also a great
resource if you don't already have it.   If you don't, buy it and if you do,
read it!  :-)

 Cheers,
 Jon

 SusanV wrote:
Jon and Chris..

 Great work on all this screen information.  Another reason this list
 and the people on it are such treasures!

 As for the curves discussions, I must admit that when I start reading
 about those things, my hair hurts.  I'm just not up to speed when it
 comes to curves (as relating to digital positive/negatives for alt
 process output).  I don't even understand a lot of the terms you all
 use ( "100% mapped to about 82%", "moving the point top right down to
 Input
 100/Output80" ....SAY WHAT?????  ).  I'm just late to this digital
 neg/pos party you've all been doing for a while now.  I'm not at all a
 technophobe... but in this particular instance, I just want a simple
 solution to get me making my images.  I'm using Jon's curves at this
 point, but I do wish I understood how to tweak them to get the best
 result for my own workflow with the 1280 printer and Nuarc and km73
 plates, etc...

 ok, i'll stop whining, haha... it's just been a killer week here and
 I'm wiped out.  I'll go take a nap and come back later :o)

 susan

 www.susanvossgravures.blogspot.com
 www.dalyvoss.com