U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tacky attraction< (was Solarplate images...website)

Re: Tacky attraction< (was Solarplate images...website)

I think using the krene, low pressure, and not waiting much time at all between drawdown has helped me with the patches...but they're still there if I'm not careful and am working large.

I like your spray fix idea for the OHP. A fine matte acrylic coat on the image side might just work. That seems to be the least pain in the butt, in any case... I'd try that with all the other steps in place...and if it works, remove the baby powder step and see if it's still needed. Continuing to work with an image with smooth grey tones to accentuate the problem will help you determine when the problem has been solved.

I'm going downstairs to burn a plate I've had "airing out" all night. Will do the drawdown test and see if the patches start encroaching before burning the plate. In the meantime, do let us know how your coating idea works. Sounds like it may be the ticket...

Jon

SusanV wrote:
Jon,

My vacuum is at about 22 inches mercury.  I can adjust that with my
bleeder valve, and did that yesterday to see what difference it made
(remembering your prior comments about this).  The spots were clearly
evident, and larger (meaning the film was farther from the plate),
with less drawdown.  I tried it at 5, then 10 and 15, etc... the
higher the number the smaller the spots.

Another thought ... what about spraying some sort of clear-coat on the
ohp inked surface to make it less tacky?  Like artist's grade
fixative.  I have plenty of that... I'll try it later.  I would
imagine a workable fixative would be best, because it's less glossy
than a final fixative.  A glossy (smooth) surface is not the goal.
Actually... a semigloss polyurethane (hardware store) spray might work
just as well.

Oh the heck with it... let's just outfit these injet printers to print
right on the surface of the plates!  Yeah, that's the ticket.

susan