U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: Teleconverter Calculation

Re: OT: Teleconverter Calculation

Hey Dave,

The trick I use when trying to visualize what a longer lens will do is
as follows:

Mentally divide your viewfinder into quarters with a vertical and
horizontal line running through the middle of the frame. If you are
shooting with a 50mm lens (for example), going to a 100mm lens will fill
the frame with what you are seeing in one of those quarters. That would
be a 2x magnification. And of course, if you subdivide one of of those
quarters into four smaller quarters, going to a 200mm lens would fill
one of those tiny areas.

If your teleconverter is a 1.75x version, you'd "magnify" a bit less
than the 2x example above. Make sense?

Hope this helps and enjoy the new gizmo,

Dan

--
www.DanBurkholder.com
www.TinyTutorials.com