U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 - any advice?

Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 - any advice?

Hi Sandy,

When I was first doing my research for PDN, the printers at that time were not as nearly as smooth as those we have today.  When using any combination of ink that included black, there would be a problem in the upper midtones or highlights where the black ink kicked in a certain tonal range.... this would cause a fringe of noise in smooth areas such as clouds.

Currently I prefer them because of some advanced printing options offered and because the CDRP lets me do a nice quick  comparison of a printer's ink densities.  With some of the new printers, black is not necessarily the most dense color.  It also helps determine when a particular process has possibly a sensitivity to other parts of the spectrum than UV—as I supsect is true with Soloar Plate.

Mark