U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 - any advice?

Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 - any advice?

Sandy,

My preference for PDN, if the density is not sufficient, is to use Ink Configuration to lay down more ink.  Oddly enough on the large format printers, this setting is under Paper Configuration and is called I believe Ink Density.

A good reason for doing this is that once you add black to the PDN colors, you may get a color that Photoshop cannot parse into 256 tones.  So, some colors are unable to render a full 256 tones—one color I tested dropped 50+ of the 256 tones.  This occurs as a sort of periodic posterization in the image.  All the colors used by PDN avoid this.

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com