U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Epson 1400 again

Epson 1400 again

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Epson 1400 again
  • From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 01:05:04 -0500

I did some testing this evening in silver, both VC and graded papers, with digital negatives printed on the Epson 1400.

VC papers were problematic. Every combination I tried that had the right DR gave either a gritty look or slight banding. The gritty look was much like what I get with the 2200 printing on silver.

Graded papers were another matter. After some experimentation I matched the exposure scale of Ilford Ilfobrom Galerie 2 (about 1.65) to a color made up of R=32, G=32, B=0, and this gave a very smooth look. The tones are not quite as smooth as one would expect from a contact print of a silver negative, but the grain was much better than one would expect from a 16X20 print from a 4X5 negative.

So my initial conclusion is that this rather inexpensive printer is capable of making excellent digital negatives for printing on silver papers. As I mentioned in another post, it does have limitations since the maximum density you can get for UV processes is about 1.8, and that when printing a RGB desaturated file in color.

Sandy King