U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Bottem of the Van Dyke Barrel

RE: Bottem of the Van Dyke Barrel

Michael,

In his first 1939 wartime speech Winston Churchill remarked about Germany's
war on Soviet Russia, "It is a riddle wrapped in mystery inside an enigma
..."

Such is my experience with VDB solution. When I mix a batch I date the label
and dump it after a year, as it mysteriously changes in appearance and
printing qualities. I've never observed that VDB gains speed as it becomes
older - just the opposite, nor traditional cyanotype. However it is my
anecdotal observation that cyanotype is much slower to change than VDB
solution.

Perhaps there is someone on the list that can share some hardcore
sensitometeric analysis of aging VDB solution but I would advise mixing a
fresh batch and calibrating with that.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant