U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Alternative to Epson 3800

Re: Alternative to Epson 3800

Kerik,

The 3800 is a great printer, no doubt about that. And if you were to compare price to the R2400 your comment about the cost of ink is right on target.

On the question of banding, all previous Epson pigment ink printers have been known to cause Venetian blind banding in digital negatives, no exceptions except perhaps the R1800. And this usually does not start right away, but as the printer ages. My Epson 2200 did not band at all in over 2.5 years of use, then recently it started light banding that makes it impossible to print areas of broad even tones for digital negatives. On regular prints, no problem.

I have been told by persons who know printers real well that the stepping motor on the 3800 is one of the best that has ever been put on a printer. Hopefully this will give it a very long life free from Venetain blind banding.

Sandy