U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | GRAVURE ISSUES

GRAVURE ISSUES

Dear Susan, Jon and Keith
                    No no no no............I am not discouraged. Having
trained as an apprenticed hand engraver on metals for seven years back in
the sixties I am not short of patience when it comes to obtaining desired
results from a  printing process. I am a pictorialist and aim to make
impressionist  camera generated images in multiples. Gravure reproduction
very much appeals to me especially  when the working of the technique allows a certain ammount of manipulation with regard to contrast of the final
image.
                     However, as I am not a very wealthy man  I need to find
ways of reducing the very high costs of equipment such as roller press,
gravure plates, etc., etc.,   This is my personal project which I hope can
be shared with several other members of this List (six hundred + strong) who
must be drooling at the  pristine images appearing on the web sites you are
highlighting,  Altho' I admire the enormous ammount of  technical effort
which obviously has been used to produce these images and the subjects are
incredibly beautiful , this is not my genre of artistic creativity, and I do
not aim to emulate. There is room for all tastes. This has often been stated
on this list.
                                    The similarity of Gravure to other photo ink
transfer   processes such as Oil Printing, Bromoil Transfer, Photo Lithography, Screen, Collotype and other fancy names is what is so attractive to me and I thank you for bringing so much enthusiasm to the current scene regarding the Gravure  process.
                    Press on with the challenge.
                      Best. John - Photographist - London - UK