U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: preservation of negatives/slides/prints

Re: preservation of negatives/slides/prints

I've been doing this myself for the past six months, with my dad's collection. How big is
it? How old? How had it been stored? If it is very large, you probably will want to do
some sort of inventory so you know what you've got - and identify those prints for which
you've got negs from those for which you haven't.

My dad left 18,000 images dating back to the early 1940s, plus stuff shot by his parents
in the 1920s and 1930s. He closely attended slides and 6x9 negs, but left most of his
35mm color negs in their Walgreens sleeves. So some of it is orderly and well cared for,
while some got dumped in piles.

If your collection is very old, you might start by assessing the condition of individual
images. I found that some of my dad's oldest b&w negs might possibly have some
fungus - hard to tell because they also seem to have "plated" in some way I'm not
qualified to assess. Also, some of his Ektachrome slides from the late '50s fared
horribly. Veru mamy of them have undergone fading of blue and green. These may be
the first I scan, just to get something down. Then again, given the size of this collection,
I might first scan attack those that are not as badly deteriorated, so I get them while
they're still healthy.

One issue I have with my dad's oldest b&w negs (mostly 620 and some similar format I
haven't ID'd) is that he used glassine envelopes. Some of these envelopes, dating to the
mid-40s, have yellowed. There are a couple interesting threads about this topic on the
internet.

I personally haven't given a lot of time to his prints, especially the color ones. There are
thousands of them. I decided that where I do have the negs or slides, I don't so much
care about the prints. His earliest prints from his '40s and '50s negs will be an exception.
And of course the prints he had that did NOT come from one of his own negs are a
different matter. You would want to identify these, probably handle them with more
attention than all those Walgreen's prints of his 35mm negs. Another good reason to
make an inventory.

Mike