U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: preservation of negatives/slides/prints

Re: preservation of negatives/slides/prints

Hi Ryuji,

Another factor you don't mention that I'm having to recognize with all gelatin materials here is mould growth. It's especially bad on some trade processed slides, but I also get it on prints and negatives. Humidity is probably the vital factor for this, and I live in a poor area in this respect.

So, despite the problems with digital storage, I think it is vital to get material worth keeping into digital form as soon as possible. Already many of my own images I think important are only printable from the digital files and many of the vintage prints show signs of degradation.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk +44 (0)1784 456474
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
Don't have time to get into details, but the way the film was made,
including the formula for the "film dope" and the way it was filmed has
some influence on the stability of the film as well. Acetic acid is a
relatively weak acid compared to the degradation product of common
plasticizer, triphenyl phosphate (degraded into diphenyl phosphate).
Plasticizer is present at about 1:10 in acetate film and it's a lot. So
the name is "vinegar syndrome" but the reality is probably more
complicated.

Because these things are rather easily studied by accelerated aging
tests, the formulation has improved since 1980s. It is likely true that
modern triacetate film from Fujifilm and Kodak may be more durable, but
I don't think it is correct to apply findings from modern material to
early cellulose films. Old collections deserve more close attention in
these areas.

Another thing is that it is very misleading to describe one variable as
"the most important factor" etc. here. For b&w silver image, humidity is
an major factor, but even at 30-40% RH, if there is degrading paper or
adhesive in the container, the image may degrade much faster. One must
realize there are several ways to ruin an image just as easily and the
image gets ruined from the weakest mode. It is often the case that the
factors must be prioritized to fit in limited budget, etc., and humidity
is one key factor that should be given a high priority, but a bit of
peroxide from degrading paper or tape can do a big damage as well. It's
not an "or" but rather an "and."

In case of silver image, combination of proper sulfiding toner treatment
can greatly reduce the impact of several variables and it is highly
recommended for anything important.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:05:36 -0400, "Gawain Weaver"