U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: digital negs for ziatype

RE: digital negs for ziatype

Hi Robert,

What kind of lightsource do you use? Is your working environment too
dry?

IME, 15 minutes exposure is quite long for Ziatypes w/ digital
negatives. My standard printing time (for max. black) w/ a bank of BL
fluorescent tubes is around 6 - 8 minutes (I get around 27 - 28 steps w/
the 31 step tablet = log 2.8 DR). Using a more contrasty mix will help
in getting paper white (try adding 1 drop of 1.25% Ammonium Dichromate
per 10 drops of coating solution = this should give you a DR around log
1.7 - 1.8 = 17 - 18 steps w/ the 31 step tablet), but you should note
that 2200 OEM inks have plenty density (you can try to increase ink
amnt. in the printer driver, + %5, %10, %15)... BTW, Ziatype is faster
and gives better Dmax in high humidity (>= 70%), try to print as soon as
the paper is surface dry. (= Wait not more than 5 - 10 minutes after
coating + do not use a hot air stream to dry the paper!) You may try to
put a piece of impermeable substrate (such as Mylar or Yupo...) under
the paper to minimize humidity loss during the long exposure.

Hope this helps,