Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:49 AM
Subject: Re: Cleric's Gold Toner

Bob,
The toner's full name is Clerc's Thiourea Gold Toner not Cleric's. I'm pretty sure this one is a pretty standard one.
But the formula is:

Gold Chloride (1% Solution) - 12.5 ml.
Thiourea (1% solution) - 12.5 ml.
Tartaric Acid  -  0.12 gm
Sodium Chloride - 5.0 gm
Distilled water to make - 250 ml.

I got the formula off the web but it comes from 'Making Kallitypes' Dick Stevens.

I'm still not sure what kind of effect accidently raising the Tartaric Acid to 12 gm would have? Do you think that it would only dillute the effect of the toner? That's what it appeared to do.

thanks
david