U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: spots and dots and UVBL solarplates

Re: spots and dots and UVBL solarplates

I really have never had a problem with this until I got a roll of the new
'improved' Pictorico Ultra OHP. I was getting this strange lighter dots on
some of my palladium prints that were noticeable in the smoother toned
areas. Anyway, as I mentioned a few days ago, I put on the UV glasses and
observed the film as the vacuum frame sucked the backside of the film into
the glass. And sure enough, the dots coincided with these little
mini-Newton rings and little bubblets.

So I took the advice of one the very helpful solarplate/KM73 printers and
sprayed the backside (non-inked) side of the negative with one very light
and even coat of Krylon #1303 clear acrylic. I taped the negative to a
piece of cardboard, stood it up nearly vertical in my darkroom sink and
got my chi nice and centered  and my karma in order and sprayed the
backside of the negative from a distance of 12-18 inches. It dried to a
faintly granular appearance that worried me. But the UV densitometer
showed no measurable difference in UV transmission density, and it printed
beautifully with no problems. I observed the negative-to-glass contact
again as it exposed, and nary a ring, bubblet or anything else.

So this is the way I will solve the problem until I get through this
cursed roll of film and can move on to something that takes a little less
care and feeding.

Clay