U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Newton Squashed Under Pressure (photogravures)

Newton Squashed Under Pressure (photogravures)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Newton Squashed Under Pressure (photogravures)
  • From: SusanV <susanvoss3@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:49:38 -0400

Hi all,

After a long time of troubleshooting this problem I've had of tiny
little irregularities of tone, not measles, but speckles... This is my
current thinking.  They ARE caused by Newton's rings between both the
imagesetter film and Pictorico OHP and the glass of my vacuum table.
It's been suggested it was caused by not using enough pressure when
printing (intaglio), but what I have found is that additional pressure
does eliminates the speckles ***which have been caused by newton's
rings****.

Furthermore, the reason my speckles are tiny and numerous, has to do
with vacuum pressure of 22".  The more pressure I use, the smaller the
rings become, but they also become more numerous.

My goal now is to settle on one of the several solutions to Newton's
rings (clear spray on the back of the inkjet positive, frosted mylar,
Kreene plastic, etc ), so that I can use less pressure when printing,
reducing wear and tear on my press over time (not to mention my biceps
are beginning to develop to Popeye proportions :^O )

Susan
--
susan
gravure blog at www.susanvossgravures.blogspot.com