U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: continued solarplate notes

RE: continued solarplate notes

I see. Indeed UV levels increase with elevation (because of thinner
atmosphere on top) but fractionally and most importantly you're located
320 miles (~ 5 degrees) North of Istanbul... I checked the UV in Montana
(Bozeman) and it was less than we had in Istanbul in the same conditions
(= open weather. Bozeman was 3, Istanbul was 4.5). Snow/ice reflect UV
quite strongly (along with water/sand) that's why you get skin burns in
the winter (or at the beach even if you're under a parasol).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_index
It says "...The numbers are directly related to the amount of UV
radiation reaching the surface of the earth, measured in W/m2...".
Therefore - in my understanding - this should give a person the make
quite accurate exposure time predictions under sun (after some testing
and evaluating of the results). Of course, if you have a UV light
integrator than you should be able to make very accurate exposure under
sun. (Apart the fact that there may be slight contrast variations
depending on direct / indirect exposure and scattering on air. Not that
I tested this; just transferring you what I've read on this subject
before...)

BTW, see this page for info how UV Index is calculated:
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvcalc.html