U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Newbie Gum fun!

RE: Newbie Gum fun!

Hi Jacek, won't comment about Arches since I have no experience with
that paper but I know that Fabriano Artistico is a good paper for gum
(use HP for more a photographic look).

My method of mixing gum solution from powder is:
- Weigh 100g gum powder
- Weigh 200g (200ml) distilled water (= 2 x gum -> interpolate according
to gum weight)
- Weigh 2.5g Sodium Benzoate (= 2.5% x 100g gum -> interpolate according
to gum weight)
- Mix Sodium Benzoate into distilled water (= sodium benzoate solution)
- Mix gum powder into sodium benzoate solution, stir thoroughly breaking
lumps / aggregations at least 10-15 minutes
- Close the mouth of the vessel (with its original cover or using cling
film)
- Wait few hours until most of the liquid is free from froth (I usually
mix gum in the evening and wait until next morning)
- Pour slowly / carefully to the final container (paying attention to
not transfer the last bits of froth)

I still have 5 months old gum solution that looks and smells same as the
first day it was mixed...

BTW, not that I give importance but my gum powder is white, not yellow
-> probably because it's more finely ground than yours...

Hope this helps,