U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Newbie Gum fun!

Re: Newbie Gum fun!

Hi Jacek,
Arches is one of those papers that goes speckly without size, and also goes speckly if you put it in hot water, or size it with hot size; the hot liquid affects the internal size and the pigment gets absorbed differentially, making tiny speckles. If you keep the size under 140 F while sizing, you should be fine.

I don't like the surface of the Fabriano papers myself, but it's true the Arches papers are trickier to use successfully. As Henry said, gum is a very subjective medium.
Katharine