U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: finer aquatint screen revisited

Re: finer aquatint screen revisited

Hi Susan,

With good care the screens theoretically will last a long time, but they can get dings, half-moons, kinks, etc over time. Since imagesetters have become few and far between, stocking up on custom screens seems to be a good idea...or maybe Loris is interested in starting a cottage industry in Turkey, land of the cheap imagesetter output! ;-)

The purpose of my last message was to say I'm basically done looking for vendors and the requirements are less rigid than I thought, as written below. The screens I was getting from CopyGraphics were great, but there's apparently quite a bit of latitude in what one can do with a finer screen. Once I get good screens from two of the vendors I plan on buying a bunch at various sizes, then putting their contact info on this list and my procedures page.

The one param I forgot to include was the imagesetter is on the "Fine" setting (as opposed to "Coarse" or "Very Fine"). Very fine produced too much contrast.

Jon

SusanV wrote:
Hey Jon,

Thanks for the update on the screens!

One thing I didn't realize was that the screens wear out under normal
and careful use... I thought as long as they were well cared for they
would last indefinitely.  Can you elaborate on that?

I'm looking forward to trying the new screen when you get them squared
away.  Thanks for the specs, too... maybe I can find a source locally.

Susan