U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: buffered matte board??

RE: buffered matte board??

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: buffered matte board??
  • From: Gawain Weaver <gawain.weaver@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:54:52 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:x-mailer:thread-index:content-language:message-id;b=Cn/m/h1Nv1QhtL/MB5q24UMPO+5LY+C4uuEqFEVRCWovqBq/2iangeiZbCsPXJIE3AxjOlB/k5WlWEHMIRf+rrGIO8wHDMM1CegnMa9qkRTNH2BzPndZAlfSRVZDOmyyi9uLHIGioJRQwfp+zLF2ZWZJQlr9fUCk6seTswozon4=

Title: Message

And I’ll third that opinion. But at the same time it should be noted that Ware, who is the most knowledgeable and thorough researcher that has ever studied the cyanotype, quotes the standard 1945 Holtzman reference—which uses a pH 9.4 solution of sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to test the resistance to alkaline hydrolysis of various cyanotype formulations. And Ware’s own tests used a paste of calcium carbonate powder and water. Rather extreme tests, and still no one has demonstrated their applicability to real life storage conditions. A valid case has been made by Ware, but he also relies on the old “generally-accepted conservation practice”—a practice that began and has been continued by people often unaware of the facts behind the myths.

Gawain