U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued

Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued

On Apr 23, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Jacek wrote:

Hi Katharine

The lamp black is Windsor and Newton, any suggestion for another type of black tube paint from them you would recommend in getting a nice jet black colour? Ivory black or Neutral tint by W&N perhaps?

Ivory black is an easier color to work with, but tends toward brown rather than grey in all tones but the darkest (see

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/kids.html

for an example of a gum print in ivory black) so if you want neutral greys, it may not be the best choice. But if you want a rich brown, it's a very good choice. So depends what you're after.

Another question I have is with the Potassium Dichromate, is it worth reducing the saturation of this to get a longer tonal scale? What would I be missing out if I reduced it?

In my experience, reducing the dichromate concentration will reduce, rather than lengthen, the tonal scale (you get fewer steps, rather than more). See

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Dichromate.html

for a discussion of the relationship between dichromate concentration, speed, and contrast, with examples. So if you want a longer tonal scale than you can get with saturated potassium dichromate, you should consider going to ammonium dichromate.

I guess time for exposure would be more, that is if I used exactly the same amount of gum and pigment, as I did for the same saturated solution of Potassium Dichromate.

Yes, diluting the dichromate increases the exposure time.

My understanding would be to change the negative using the photoshop curve to get the full graduation of tonal scale and leave the Potassium Dichromate saturated as it is.
The only 2 variables I should worry about are the Gum and Pigment. Is this assumption correct or partly correct or just try it and see where it takes me :)

Well, the main thing is to try not to change more than one variable at a time, so that you can see the effect of each variable. Good luck,
Katharine